Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Peter Evans (peter@example.com) wrote:

> I really intend to start using Linux but it's going to have to wait a
> bit. Now, even before starting to use Linux, I'm suddenly wondering
> about a printer for it. What are the cheapish alternatives?

Can you be more specific?  Such as, what's the most you want
to spend on a printer, and what are you needs?  Do you need
color?  Photo printing?  B&W only?  Postscript?

Most printers are supported under Linux via Ghostscript, so
let's narrow down what you need from a printer, then people
can give some good recommendations and you can choose from
among the ones that are supported (which will be most or
all).

In general, if I didn't need color printing, I'd probably by
a budget laser printer.  If I needed photo printing, I'd go
for either an HP (you can't go wrong with an HP inkjet) or
an Epson.  I'd stay away from Lexmark.  The print quality of
their competitors is noticably better to the naked eye.
When I looked at Lexmark print samples in a store, I was
pretty unimpressed.

Jonathan