Re: ISDN card

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 11:31:09AM +0900, JY wrote:
> Hi
> I am new in the list...
> My name is JYamamoto and I reside in Kanagawa ken.
> I have a need de knowledge about connecting my Linux RH7 to
> internet.
>
> Linux and my conexion with modem not problem, but this is
> a conexion normal. With ISDN ... ;-(((

> Conexion :
> ISP : Asahi.net - Dinamic IP
> NTT : ISDN Flets
> TA : V30 Tower
>
> Well, with 'windoze' I do not have problems,
> but I desire to make it with my LINUX RH 7.0
> I have RH and the notes referred to ISDN4Linux
> but I do not have a ISDN card or a router.
>
> Question
>
> 1. Here, in Japan can be obtained ISDN card or
> a router... do has support for Linux ? Where ?

I once tried to get a Eicon ISDN card. I talked to
a distributor in Japan. He said it would cost 120,000yen
and had no stock and had to order from Canada. Not very
much implementation in Japan.

> 2. It is certain that the NTT V30 Tower does not has
> support for Linux ?

You don't need support from NTT if you are successfule with
Windows. You need to check and turn on modem log in Windows
and monitor what strings Windows send to v30 tower and copy
the strings to your chat file in Linux.

If your computer as it happens to note pc and iMac only has
USB interface, you need a USB serial converter. It could
be a little problem. Since Linux supports limited number of
them.

I bought a Keyspan USA-28XB that was new version at Ikeshop
in Akihabara. It was not supported yet. The maintainer of
Keyspan products said he was going to support soon and I am
waiting for it now.

So I think USB ISDN TA solution could be expensive and
unpredicted.

If the budget is not problem, You better switch to
ethernet solution like ISDN router or ADSL/Cable modem
ethernet modem.

I am sure thoses are supported in your area.

Kei.