Re: selecting DB on linux

Jonathan Shore wrote:

> I'm moving away from oracle on Linux (a monster of a DB which was a
> nightmare to install and maintain) and looking to replace with another DB.
>
> I'm looking for a DB which has a balance of the following:
>
> *       conservative memory & cpu footprint (when not in use)
> *       db recoverability (machine may go up and down unexpectedly) [sounds
> bizzare but can explain if anyone is interested].
> *       reasonable performance, but with an architecture that can scale
> *       SQL compliance

Unless open source is important to you:

* Mimer: http://www.mimer.com
* Solid Embedded Engine: http://www.solidtech.com

Both are SQL compliant (Mimer slightly more so) and have views,
triggers,
foreign keys, PSM etc...
From a technical standpoint they are similar and both use something
called
"Optimistic Concurrency Control" for transaction management (no locks!)
Both of them store data in "standard" files.

Don't know about footprint, but compared to Oracle anything is small....

Solid seems to be faster in our tests (so far). None of them is
difficult
to install. Both recommend ODBC for Linux use other options are
available
but nothing you want to use. Mimer has free development versions for up
10 users on their web server. Not 100% sure about Solid but I think they
have some similar offer.

/Fredric Fredricson