From: Tim Hurman [mailto:kano-tlug@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 9:16 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: Yahoo & Softbank to start ADSL service

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Matt Doughty (mdoughty@example.com) wrote:
>
> > question. does anyone know if SDSL works over fiber?
>
> All DSL requires copper, so you're out of luck there.
> I take it neither Yusen nor NTT offer FTTH where you are?
> At least some parts of Shinagawa have cable service, I think.
> Is that an option?

You may want to look into ATM connections, providers in the uk are just
starting to offer consumer ATM connections. Also, if you have a large
amount of free bandwidth on your fibre, you can get upto 622Mbps, however
that is a little extreme and very expensive. The standard rate for and ATM
connection is 1.55Mbps IIRC.

Tim.

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, July 14 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Aug  10 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae