From: Jean-Christian Imbeault [mailto:jean_christian@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 8:44 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Web caching

I have been having some problems loading web pages off a particular
commercial site (slow loading, some pages come up blank). I was worried it
might be do to my Linux firewall setup or some particularities of web
browsers under Linus (though I highly doubted it). I wrote their tech
support and they suggested I regularly clear my cache.

There reasoning is as follows. Sounds like nonsense to me. Can anyone
comment (with some authority ;) on the soundness of this?

>While storing pages in your cache can speed up the loading time, after
> >awhile, the loading time can actually decrease due to the large amount
> >of cached pages crammed into the storage space.  It also begins to >take
>the computer longer to search through the cached pages to find >the right
>one.  This can also lead to mistakes and only half the page >loading, or
>only pieces of the page loading.  Your computer's cache >can also store
>pages with errors on them.

Jc

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, July 14 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Aug  10 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae