html post method && content-encoding

Hi,

I'm currently hacking phpbb (www.phpbb.com) a bit to suit my needs.
Now I have the following problem:

Because I want my users to be able to post messages containing both
japanese and european characters, I'm using utf-8 as encoding
for displaying the pages and for data stored in the mysql database.
That works fine.

The real problem is posting messages.
I could not find a way to determine which encoding the browser is using
in the posted form data.

Netscape seems to use the page encoding, which is works fine.
But opera and links for example are using iso-8859-1, which doesn't work
well when displayed as utf-8 (Umlauts don't work).

I captured the traffic with tcpdump and it looks like the browser
sends a header with "Content-Type application/x-www-form-urlencoded",
which does not say anything about the character set used...

Is this a problem with the HTTP specification or a Browser-Problem ?
IMHO it would be logical to post the form-results in the same encoding
the html-page is using, which netscape seems to do.

--
Tobias
nya~ni ?