Re: opinions of gcc 3.0

> Good/bad/indifferent?  Does it build 64-bit binaries on Solaris?  Does it
> have K7 optimizations on x86?  Does it suck?  etc...

See some excerpts below from the release announcement. I'm planning on
adding it to my test system, as one of my projects has been running into
bugs in g++ 2.97.2.

Darren

  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/features.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/caveats.html
While we feel that GCC 3.0 is suitable for production use... We
do not recommend replacing the system compiler on your system
with GCC 3.0, because that makes it difficult for you to downgrade,
should the need arise.
We also know that current versions of GLIBC do not work when
recompiled with GCC 3.0.  The GLIBC developers are working on solving
this problem.