Re: IS MICROSOFT SECRETLY USING OPEN SOURCE?

Peter Evans (peter@example.com) wrote:

> increased my desire to escape that company. But if even a Red Hat
> employee is forced to keep using a 'doze machine (or system) because of
> all the other people who pester him with 'doze-specific files, I'm sure
> I will be too, and for the same reason.

I do 99% of my work on a Linux box, but I have an official MIS workstation
on (well, under) my desk, too.  Solely for the purposes of dealing with
MS Exchange (corporate standard) and MS Office documents.  Now, it's
true that I can deal with most Office documents under Linux as well,
but the fact that they are often grabbed out of an Outlook folder makes it
a lot of extra effort to get them on my Linux box, so I generally don't
bother with it.

But the mention of Visio brings up one of the things I can't
deal with on my Linux box at all.  There is, as was noted, nothing
on Linux that reads Visio files.

I know things are hard and budgets are tight everywhere right now,
but I would *love* to see Red Hat put a programmer or two or three
onto making Visio import and export filters for Dia.

Hoping the right people are reading this :-)

Jonathan