Re: IS MICROSOFT SECRETLY USING OPEN SOURCE?

Jack Morgan <jack@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:28:52AM +0900, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:
>> Would you be amused to learn that RedHat employees use Windows?
>> (in fact, we saw a kind of official mail from one of them on this
>> list recently, remember?)

> Point taken, but the poster is new to linux (Redhat employee or not)

Based on personal experience, I'd say probably not.  He's some non-tech
with a write-once, read-only brain.  There are plenty of them in any
company, Linux distributor or not.

> It would seem impractical for a business to expect a new employee to
> use linux to do their day to day work when they are effecient in
> another OS.

I disagree with this statement, but plenty of other people do not.

> In the long term... Yes it's justifiable.

Unfortunately, you are correct.  It wasn't this way in the past.  When
I was at TRW we had no trouble training secretaries to use Unix, vi
and TeX, etc.  The ones I talked to liked it after they were trained[1].

I find it galling that lusers would prefer mail software from Microsoft
that severely inconveniences recipients, but that is the current state
of the art.

Footnotes:
[1]  And it didn't take very much to train them, either.