Re: new kernel -- LILO

You can search the HowTos at
http://www.linux.org/docs/index.html

Basically, lilo can manage multiple kernels and just needs to point at them
with settings you can get from the man pages: 'man bootparam', and 'man
lilo.conf'. Instead of overwriting your old kernel parameters, you would
need to make another entry, et al. You can even use linuxconf to manage
kernels (but I've never done it that way).

There is a great book called Running Linux (3rd Edition) from Orielly:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux3/
which explains how to roll and install kernels, amoung other useful things
for beginners.

I got mine from Maruzen in Nihonbashi.

>I successfully compiled my first linux -Mandrake 8.0-
>kernel 2.4.5 on Mandrake, but it gave `Kernel Panic`
>failure at the first boot.
Just goes to show that a successful compile doesn't mean a "successful"
compile.

Bryan