Re: selecting DB on linux

Postgres it is.

Version 7.0x was quite a bit faster than 6.x and was much more userfriendly.
7.1x is even faster and better.

Most of the servers I manage have 256MB RAM and around 550-800MHz cpu which is
more than enough for postgres. Disk usage is around 8MB for the software itself
and about 80MB for a decent sized database. Compare that to the few hundred MBs
required for an empty oracle db.

Ive even setup one customer that uses a cluster of 2 postgres database machines
and the performance is awesome. Of course the clustering is done by our
software, but postgres plays a big part in the performance.

asz