RE: Moving from Netware to Linux

Larry,

--- Larry Stanbery <stanbery@example.com> wrote:
> Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> > Scott Stone wrote:
> >
> > > server.  I've done Novell->UNIX/Samba migrations this way before,
> although
> > > I'm not sure how well it will preserve Japanese.  We moved about
> 30
> >
> > You probably just have to set the "client code page" and "coding
> > system" options:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  After some diddling with options,
> searches for info on codepages/charsets, etc., I've managed to
> get the ncpmount to "see" part of the files.  Specifically, the
> Japanese Windows systems that talk to the Novell server use
> codepage 932 and Shift-JIS.  The part I've not yet
> deduced is what format Japanese Macs use to talk to Novell.  And,
> unfortunately, in my stumbling around, I've failed to find much
> except that 932 is the only codepage I can find that mentions
> Japanese (and I couldn't find a comprehensive list of codepages),
> and it doesn't seem that the Macs (pre-OS X) use UTF8 or UTF7.

CP932 is basically "Microsoft SJIS". It is SJIS with some
"vendor defined" characters. Same thing for the Mac Japanese
character set. It's unlikely that users would put these variant
characters in filenames, so you are pretty safe specifying
CP932 or SJIS.

If you want to know exactly what's in the character sets,
have a look at the character set mapping tables on
http://www.unicode.org/. But you probably don't want to know
that bad :-)

> Thanks much for the help. =)
>
> Larry Stanbery