Re: Unicode TTF containing CJK?

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
>>     Marc> Anyone know of some good recommendations for unicode
>>     Marc> truetype fonts which have good CJK and other language
>>     Marc> characters sets?
>>
>> As far as I know there are none, period.  Not even from Microsoft,
>> although this may have changed over the last year.  The problem is
>> that all fonts to date are either rather incomplete or are pasted
>> together from Unicode subsets, which don't always match.
>>
>> Microsoft's best come damn close, though.  IIRC only Icelandic and
>> Turkish (Latin 5?) had "anomolies" in the extensions of Courier and
>> Arial to Unicode.

If anyone wants a copy of arialuni.ttf (all 24Mb of it) I can leave a
copy in a convenient place. As Stephen said, it's pretty close.

When I was setting up my RH6.2 on my notebook, I had a bash at setting
up the ttfs for X usage. It didn't work, and I got busy with other
things. I just revisited it, and found out why. It uses special RH
patches, which of course are not in the Toshiba X server binary I (have
to) use. All the more reason to upgrade to 7.1, I guess (hoping, of
course, that its X supports the Savage S3). That's the risk - it's
bloody had to go backwards after a failed upgrade.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of