Linux Fax Server Setup

I just got the task of moving a fax server running WinFax Pro on Win NT
to a new machine. Since the modem I have comes with Linux support, Im
trying to setup the server on Linux.

The module that came with the modem doesnt work when compiled for a 2.4
kernel, so im sticking to 2.2 for now. I found several fax packages, but
none seem to work out of the box.

The best luck I had was with 'hylafax'. It compiles and installs fine,
but fails near the end of configuration. It says ok after probing for
the best speed and then prints something like:

"We were unable to deduce what type of modem you have.  This means that
it did not respond as a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 2.0 modem
...........................If your modem is not one of the above types
of modems, then this
software does not support it and you will need to write a driver that
supports it."

Has anyone done this before with a different software? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sajjad