RE: Offtopic, inappropriate jokes?

which brings us back to the point that nobody has designed a product to
compete with Microsoft yet that can compete in Microsoft's core market.  Any
OS that wants to do that has to be:

1) transparent to the user as far as the technical details are concerned
(yeah, when Windows blows up it's a mega-PITA to fix it, but when it works,
it works and the user doesn't need to know or care how)

2) able to run all the 3rd party stuff at native-level speed.  ie, I pop in
my Space Ostrich 3D cdrom and it's gotta run as well as it would do under
Windows.

how to arrive at this is not an easy question or an easy task, though.
Which seems to be why the Linux/BSD people are working more towards, in my
view, competing in the Server arena - but there you have Big UNIX to contend
with as well (Sun and HP mostly).  That said, I think it'll be much easier
to position an open-source alternative to Win2k/backoffice than it would be
to position an open-source alternative to Win98/WinME for home use... but
the home use is a much bigger market in terms of copies sold per year.  so
in terms of installed base, Microsoft will still stay on top, at least in
the near term.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA