Re: Linux 8.0

Liton (leyton@example.com) wrote:

> What about Mandrake and Turbo Linux. Will I be able to change the
> language during the installation?

Steve B. already answered that question WRT TurboLinux, go back
and read his post.

Mandrake tends to be more Eurocentric.  If a Japanese-capable
Linux is important to you (but you've already said you can't read
Japanese, so I don't know how badly you really need that capability),
go with Red Hat or TurboLinux.  TurboLinux really set the standard
in CJK Linux localization/internationalization, although Red Hat
has largely or completely caught up with them by now.

Other Linuxes that have good Japanese support are Debian (but if you're
a beginner, you don't want to mess with that :-) and the distros
that started in Japan [1] such as Vine Linux (now part of Red
Hat) and Kondara MNU Linux (now also sold in North America).

FreeBSD also has good Japanese support, if you want to dabble in BSD.

Jonathan

[1] It could be argued that TurboLinux also started in Japan,
    although it was originally a complete knock-off of Red Hat
    4.x, and PHT (now TurboLinux, Inc.) was originally based in
    Salt Lake City, Utah.  Where TL first became popular was here
    in Japan, thanks to their l10n/i18n efforts.