RE: Offtopic, inappropriate jokes?

hmm, aren't antitrust laws sort of anticapitalist in nature themselves?  I
don't think that Microsoft is EVIL, per se.  I don't agree with a lot of
their business practices, and I have issues with their products as do the
rest of us, but I think that calling Microsoft "evil" or a "criminal
organization" is a bit much.

Then again, let's define "criminal" here - I'm using the word to mean
"someone who does something that goes against the ethical laws of society",
ie, I dont consider mySELF a criminal for going 100mph (that's um, what,
180kph?) on the freeway when it's safe to do so.  Likewise, I dont think
that these "antitrust" laws really belong in the legal code.  But maybe I"m
not being fully clear.  Let's take the example of paying for Windows ME when
you buy the computer.  That's a marketing arrangement worked out between
Microsoft and the reseller.  It's MS's prerogative to say, "If you want to
sell our products, you have to do it the way we want it done".

Not to say that there aren't ways around this - I've bought a lot of
computers and have never had to pay for Windows licenses that I didn't need
- build them yourself.  Just like Chris's axiom that you have to build from
source to get the most out of software, same goes for hardware :)

now i know you're going to say, "what about those memos and such from bill
gates that say 'ok how can we screw netscape'" and such... well so what?
They're competitors ... they DO that.  I can't imagine Lee Iacocca saying,
"Gladys, will you please send a nice fruit basket and a teddy bear to the
guys over at Ford?  I just love them so much *sniff*"... no, you'd hear him
talking about how he could screw Ford, obviously.

And let's look at WHY MS is a monopoly - partly due to very very good luck
in being at the right place at the right time, partly due to very good
business decisions early on, and partly due to the stupidity of other
players (ie, Apple.  if Apple had released specs to their HARDWARE and had
gotten more machines out there to run MacOS....  Microsoft never had to deal
with this, they had an established PC base that was pretty much "open
source" from the beginning).  And sure you can say that MS "stole" the GUI
from Apple or Xerox or whoever, but that A) was never challenged in court,
to my knowledge?  and B) this happens in the industry *all the time*.  in
*all* industries, actually.  ie, all cars (made after 1988 anyway) have fuel
injection, does that make Honda bad for using it because they didn't invent
it?

Hopefully I've made somewhat of a point here, and hopefully that point does
NOT simply boil down to, "Scott is a clueless jackass", although that has
been put forth at times in the past as well...

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA