Re: OT Rant Re: ADSL again

    FB> Yes.  The NTT Group (the holding company that controls all of
    FB> the subsidiaries into which the state-controlled monopoly was
    FB> divided) lobbies the government (against breaking up the
    FB> Group) on the basis that you need a massive company to compete
    FB> on a "global standard".  I don't know whether that is true or
    FB> not,

The actual argument, if you read between the lines, is that NTT is not
now and never plans to be able to compete on a global standard.  They
need the mass and the government protection to survive.

Not to mention that it isn't true that you need a monolith the size of
NTT.  AFAICT KDD is holding its own in the international markets,
which surprised me.