Re: The meta-tlug post [Re: http://tlug.linux.or.jp/list.html]

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:08:20PM +0900, Austin K. Kurahone wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:51:00PM +0900, msdavid wrote:
> > Software issues concerning linux/unix operating systems
> I'm setting up $BLAH an it doen't work out of the box without reading
> manuals.

"I want to use Pagemaker!  Linux is bloody useless!"

> > Software issues concerning tools, programs, etc.
> How do I setup PPP?

"RedHat ships gcc-2.96.  Why doesn't Slackware?"

> > Technical software issues concerning Open Source Code
> Help! I was running  stock Mandrake 6.0 and the file "1337_backdoor.sh"
> magically appeared!

"Which of the thousands of possible locale-related environment variables
do I have to set to make kinput2 work with (insert name of xterm-derivative
here)?"

> > Hardware-related issues
> $HARDWARE doen't work with automagically with Redhat 7.1

"Okay, so I have something that's called a WinPrinter ..."

"Why doesn't 'Business @ The Speed of Thought' mention Linux?"

> > Linux-related jobs
> I'm setting up my corporate LAN help!

"Hi, I'm a headhunter with Panache!  We have lots of opportunities for
UNIX and NT admins!  We've included our two-megabyte logo in this email to
show how classy we are!"

> > Announcements of Linux-related events in Japan
> Lets go drinking with the /. guys.

"Let's have a technical meeting and let IBM use it as free advertising!"

> > Why should I use Linux and not some other OS?
> Don't.  Use [Free/Net]BSD instead.

"All UNIXes are created equal.  Some are more equal than others.  OpenBSD,
I'm thinking of you here."

> > What is Open Source and which way should it go?
> http://www.gnu.org or die!

"GPL!  BSD!  GPL!  BSD!  *ack*"

> > Jokes, General Conversation (hopefully linux related :-)
> What does Bill Gates have to do with Linux?

As far as I know, Tux doesn't pick his nose ...

> Long day at work is messing with what remains of my sanity I suppose.

I can relate.  This has been possibly the worst week of my life.  Bloody
corporate politics[1].

-- Chris
	"The only box we've ever had owned was running OpenBSD." -- J. Byrne

[1] I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  http://www.fatbabies.com