Re: ADSL again

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 05:36:44PM +0900, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> Sad to say but I would avoid Tokyo Metallic right now as all reports
> point at it going down the drain pretty soon. I use eAccess with
> Asahi-net as my ISP and am really happy with it. Took about 2 weeks
> from applying to getting setup. The ISP charge at Asahi is 450 yen
> a month and their English support is pretty helpful. eAccess charges
> come through the Asahi bill also. Have a look at their website for more
> info. www.asahi-net.or.jp. Their modem/router MegaBit Gear TE4000 is

Let's compare adsl network services of ntt-east's flets and eaccess in
terms of one isp, namely asahi-net.

Asahi-net provides isp service for  both eaccess and flets.

In case of NTT flets:
flets adsl	 4050
line upto mdf	   60
Modem/splitter    490
Asahi-net         950
per month cost   5550yen

initial setup    2800yen

In case of Eaccess:
eaccess		 5350
Asahi-net	  450
per month cost   5800yen

inital setup    18000
initial fee       800
ntt initial      2800
total           21600yen

So in terms of the same isp, ntt flets is cheaper.
So question goes like who owns adsl facility.
Obviously, It is local monopolization, has to be regulated by
government. And there should be no difference between 4050 and
5350. But, there it is. Obviously ntt is cheaper and probably
quoting for eaccess which is suitable for ntt. Probably
Tokyo metallic is failing because they are trying to establish
their own facility hindered by ntt.

Again I am not happy with how business works, if it is in the US,
it is clearly violation of antitrust law.
But I am on ntt bandwagon.

Kei.