freebsd & java

Ok, so this is not a freeBSD list, but part of the question relates to
linux.  Recently switched hosting services for one of our domains, under the
mistaken assumption that they were running linux, and discovered that they
were rather running a recent build of freeBSD (v4 mar 7 2001).

I'm wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on how well Java works on this
platform.  Much of the java software is optimized for Solaris or Linux.  Did
find the FreeBSD Java Project page.  Seems that they're a couple of versions
behind (in terms of stable releases).

There is also mention of getting the blackdown linux 1.3 port working under
linux compatibility mode.  Is it possible to set this up as the equiv of a
loadable module (or some sort of BSD equiv).  Do have root access but can't
rebuild the kernel if that is required.

Anyone know of how active the BSD Java project is - in other words should I
be expecting a 1.4 or 1.3 port in the near future (I'll ask the maintainers
of course, but someone here might have a more immediate answer).

Thanks

JS