cron/logrotate

I was checking my apache logs this morning and noticed that they got rotated
last night.

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3.0M Jun  4 23:42 access_log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7.6M Jun  2 23:43 access_log.1

I'm running Apache 1.3.12 on RH 6.2 and trying to find out why the logs
where rotated at this particular time.

I'm under the impression that Apache's log rotation is controlled by
/usr/sbin/logrotate, which is itself called by cron.

I've found logrotate to be under etc/cron.daily/

I've check the crontab and cron.daily has the following entry:

02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

Which would make daily cron jobs run at 4:20 am ... so logrotate should be
run at 4:20am no?

So then I check logrotate.conf but it has no settings for time except:

#rotate log files weekly
weekly

So then I check /etc/logrotate.d/apache and find nothing relating to time
here either, just:

/var/log/httpd/access_log {
    missingok
    postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd 2> /dev/null || true
    endscript
}

It would seem then that the Apache logs should only get rotated at 4:20am
but this is not what happened.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not sure but log rotation seems to be
causing some of my clients/programs to hang. I had open connections at the
time the logs where rotated and one of them didn't close properly and was
still open when I did a ps this morning, had to kill it off.

Thanks,

Jc