More Module Mayhem

  I will admit that I've never - in spite of repeated attempts to
figure the whole business out - gotten comfortable with modules. I can
see they're terrifically useful, and I depend on them, but I just feel
they're so completely beyond my control sometimes.

  Earlier today I got the latest VMWare set up under my fresh RH7.1
installation.  My old virtual machines seem to run just fine, and
there were none of the problems I had anticipated with XFree86 4.x

  I got one error message about the parport_pc module apparently not
being loaded, so I tried a manual '/sbin/insmod parport_pc'.  This
worked just fine.  It produced the message:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o

and made the printer usable from a virtual Win.  I was delighted at
how simple it all was.

 However, when I did the same thing later on this afternoon, I got a
whole slew of error messages about unresolved symbols:

<root@example.com:/home/denis>$ /sbin/insmod parport_pc
Using /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol parp
ort_ieee1284_epp_read_data_R7091445d
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol parp
ort_ieee1284_epp_write_data_R02d3216f
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol parp
ort_ieee1284_read_byte_R71b59e1e
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol parp
ort_ieee1284_epp_read_addr_R0754aa65...etc, etc, etc

  I'm not aware that I've changed anything that would affect the modules.
What on earth could have happened?  And, more importantly, what can I do
to fix this?  I have had a look at the manpages, of course, for 'insmod',
'depmod', and 'modprobe' - not for the first time - but without finding
any inspiration there.

  Hope someone out there has the magic bullet.

  Cheers, Dennis
--
Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka