DNS is up!

Ok! I have my DNS server up and running and doing most of what I want it.
Still not jumping through flaming hoops yet but doning well enough ^_^

A few more questions:

1- I was thinking of having all the internal LAN clients point to the
internal DNS server I just set up. However I realized that if my server goes
down my users will be in trouble. Is having my users use my local DNS server
as primary and my ISP's DNS server as secondary an acceptable solution?

2- The machine with my DNS server is intranet (intranet.intranet.hmv.co.jp).
How do I enter a record in the database so that people can access the
machine by using only intranet.hmv.co.jp? I've tried changing the Address
record from

intranet.intranet.hmv.co.jp. IN A 10.2.100.72

intranet.hmv.co.jp. IN A 10.2.100.72

Or adding an alias record, but that didn't help ...

3- I am able to access the machine on which my local DNS server is installed
just by typing the machine's name (i.e. intranet) instead of the FQDN. But
for another machine that I have entered into my database files I can only
access it with the FQDN and not just by machine name. But from the DNS
server an nslookup on the short name works fine.

I've tried fiddling with the files but to no avail. Can anyone tell me what
I need to change?

Thanks again!

Jc