DNS forward question

A simple question on the forward option. I have read the both the DNS&BIND
book and the BIND 9 ARM but still am confused as to what forward actually
does.

My question boils down to this: if I use a forwarders list does that mean
that the DNS servers listed therein get queried *before* my local DNS
server? I'm asking because it seems kind of silly to query other DNS servers
for hosts that my local server can answer for ... Especially since my server
is for a local LAN and the "upstream" DNS server can't answer for local
names at all.

I have the following:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
         query-source address * port 53;
         forward first;
         forwarders {
             165.76.16.2;
             165.76.8.2;
         };
};

Does my local DNS server answer first or second for hosts it knows about? If
I remove the "forward first" option will that make my local DNS server
answer first for hosts it knows about?

Thanks,

Jc