another vmware question

Evening,

I have another question with vmware, this time it's not networking. ;-)

I have windows on hda1 and hda is configured as raw disk under vmware.
The problem is that I got lilo in the mbr, and it's default is set to
boot linux.
So when I start up vmware and want to boot windows, I have to type it
in  otherwise it will boot into linux recursively and starts fsck-ing
the linux partition(because it's mounted). I suppose I can't thrash the
linux partitions as vmware doesn't have write permission, but it's a
little annoying when I forget to tell lilo that it should boot windows.
I also installed windows on a virtual disk,  it's awfully slow compared
to raw disk.

So I tried one workaround:
Set up a very small virtual disk (hda) and install lilo on it (booting
hdb1/windows as default) , and set the raw disk (with windows ) to be
the second ide device (hdb). Theoretically it was supposed to work, but
lilo didn't like something with this setup and it only printed "LI".

Another possible solution would be to set hda1 to be the raw disk (and
not hda), but this way I would have to reformat/reinstall the stuff on
this, since hda1 doesn't have an MBR. And I think I wouldn't be able to
mount it normally from linux (unless using some losetup tricks).

If lilo would have a featue to detect the vmware BIOS and boot windows
it would be cool.

In case someone knows a solution to make my $"#!# windows boot without
having to bother with lilo I would appreciate some suggestions.
Hope I wasn't too confusing.

--
B0Ti.