Bug in RH which cmd?

Ok, I know it must something really simple but I just can't seem to wrap my
head around the following seemingly strange behaviour of my Linux box.

I just installed BIND 9.1.2 (I had 9.1.0 installed) and now when I inquire
named to find out which version it is I get 9.1.0 back ... so I check a few
this [see below...]

[root@example.com bind-9.1.2]# /usr/local/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.1.2
[root@example.com bind-9.1.2]# which named
/usr/local/sbin/named
[root@example.com bind-9.1.2]# named -v
BIND 9.1.0

So it seems to me that my shell correctly points to the proper named. But
the version number I get back is different depending on wether I call it
with the full path name or let the shell find out where it is. Why is this?

which -a named gives me all the named's I have

[root@example.com samba]# which -a named
/usr/local/sbin/named
/usr/sbin/named
/usr/local/sbin/named
/usr/sbin/named

But man which clearly says:

>it prints to stdout the full path of the executables
>that would have been executed when this argument had been
>entered at the shell prompt.

Is there a bug in "which"?

Jc