Re: Very odd 'bash' problem in RH7.1 - What!?!!

    Dennis> <denismcm@example.com:~>$ ldd ~/internet/pppcosts
    Dennis> /usr/bin/ldd: /home/denis/internet/pppcosts: No such file
    Dennis> or directory

This is a dead giveaway that the problem is in the dynamic loading
code.  ldd does not do anything, it just runs the program with a
special argument.

    Dennis> older libraries that I might need, but it apparently
    Dennis> doesn't include the 'ld-linux.so.1' that 'pppcosts'
    Dennis> probably needs).

Well, there you are.  Get one.  You will probably have to get other
old libraries as well.  Do "strings pppcosts | less" to get the list.

    Dennis> SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass

    Dennis>   This ASKPASS, in particular, worries me, but it may well
    Dennis> be standard.

It's a standard X wrapper for ssh so that you get a password dialog
instead of an apparently frozen ssh process when you haven't set up
the auth agent (ssh-add).  If you don't use it, you have to find the
VC or *term where ssh is trying to talk to you.