Re: Very odd 'bash' problem in RH7.1 - What!?!!

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

>     DM>   What on earth can be happening here:
>
>     DM> <root@example.com:/home/denis/internet>$ ls -l pppc*
>     DM> -rwxr-xr-x    1 denismcm users         126 May 12  1997 pppc
>     DM> -rwxr-xr-x    1 denismcm users         136 Nov 19  1996 pppc.big
>     DM> -rwxr-xr-x    1 denismcm users        8017 Nov 13  1996 pppcosts
>     DM> <root@example.com:/home/denis/internet>$ ./pppcosts
>     DM> bash: ./pppcosts: No such file or directory
>     DM> <root@example.com:/home/denis/internet>$ ls -l ./pppcosts
>     DM> -rwxr-xr-x    1 denismcm users        8017 Nov 13  1996 ./pppcosts
>
> This simply means that the program which should execute your script is
> not found. Type
> $ head -1 ./pppcosts
> and you will see what it is.

  Hi Viktor,

  Unfortunately, this is not the problem.  The program in question is a
compiled executable:

<denismcm@example.com:~/internet>$ head -1 ./pppcosts
EL484 ddhh/lib/ld-linux.so.1!

<denismcm@example.com:~/internet>$ file ./pppcosts
./pppcosts: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

  Also, it's not the only program that behaves this way.  This is a new
system that I'm just rebuilding from scratch (referring to 55 pages of notes
on the various tweaks that I've applied to RH6.0 and 6.2 over the last two
years!), and the 'xv' image viewing program that I installed similarly fails
to run even when I'm 'root'.  Just for the record:

<denismcm@example.com:~/internet>$ head -1 /usr/local/bin/xvscan
ELF 4D/YzYz`z`

  I began to wonder if 'bash' is actually looking at a hash table of some
kind in RH7.1, and that nothing newly installed will work until the hash
table is 'rehashed'.  If that's not it, then  something really evil is
happening here. I wouldn't like to think that.

  Still hoping someone has the answer.  Cheers, Dennis