Re: Apache question

>It's not particularly serious, it just means that the processes
>didn't die right away.

Could this possibly lead to the creation of a zombie httpd that could keep a
connection open and busy?

>You might want to write your own log rotation script
>for Apache which uses signal SIGUSR1 instead of SIGHUP.

I'll susbstituthe the HUP signals for SIGUSR1 in the logrotate script.

>A lot of the work is handled by the "apachectl" script
>which comes with Apache.

Couldn't find a file called apachectl on my system ...

>Keep in mind that as long as you have child processes alive
>the log file will still be written to, even if it is renamed.
>So the log rotation script will have to wait for a while before
>doing, e.g. compression.

If the log rotation script *did* rename the file before the child died,
would this cause the creation of the zombie children?

>Ahh, the joys of being a webmaster :-)

Tell me about it! Worst is I am *not* a web master by training ... just a
simple programmer ... woe is me ...

Jc