Japanese input in BBDB

Hello from Hakodate!  My name is Kris Bergstrom and I've been following the news list for the last few weeks.  It's a great source of information.
         I hope I am not imposing to post a question here...  I recently purchased a Sony VAIO C1VXN pre-installed with Redhat 7.1 and I'm slowly learning the ins and outs of everything.  I have two small Japanese related questions about which that I was hoping someone might be able to set me in the right
direction.

         Japanese addresses in BBDB.  My PalmPilot died last week so I'm scrambling to figure out a new address book and calendar.  I'm a big fan of xemacs and have been able to use the calendar in English and Japanese with little trouble but am not sure how to do Japanese addresses in BBDB.  I took a look
at bbdb-funcs-japanese.html on the internet but am still a little in the dark about how to get things set up.  It seems like that description is just for the Japanese mail template and not for actually entering Japanese text into the database (probably a tricky thing for the BBDB's search functions.)  I suppose there's even a chance it's already ready to go in xemacs BBDB but I don't know how to access those functions.  When I try and switch to Japanese while inputting an address it tells me "Can't activate input method ' ' "  Is anyone using BBDB for Japanese addresses that could help me out?

         The second question is embarrassingly simple.  When I switch over to Japanese input mode (C-x RET C-\ canna), everything works great but I don't know how to switch to katakana input.  What is the key toggle for katakana?

         I'm sorry to bother you all with such basic questions.  I hope you'll forgive my ignorance.  I'm planning to move down to Tokyo this September and look forward to hopefully meeting some of you.  Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

  Kris