Re: Further horrors of 'ksysv' [FTP login failure]

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> Okay so you are able to at least connect to ftp, but your username/password
> combo ain't working. I doubt ksysv was messing with this but do a
>
> $ ls -l /etc/ftp*
> and see if anything has an updated timestamp.

  NO, everything there is more than a year old, including /etc/ftpusers.

> Have you logged in lately? Perhaps your username/password has changed
> somehow. You can check this quickly with either a telnet or a ssh to
> localhost and try and login.

  No problem telnetting into localhost.

> If it works perhaps ftp has a problem. Check if any of the pam
> files were updated, again,
> $ ls -l /etc/pam.d/

  Nothing in there that's been modified this year.

  There's no doubt in my mind that this horrid little 'ksysv' has done
something to break this.  There are no other possible suspects.  Still
hoping someone has the 'magic bullet' for this...

  Cheers, Dennis

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan