Re: networking trouble

Jonathan Q wrote:

> > My ISP is leasing an NTT OCN line (128k) for its server. They're providing
> > internet services for the dorm I live in using the phonelines with a TUT
> > Systems Home Run adapter that connects to an ethernet card.
> Dang, that must be slow!

Well, I'm lucky I should say, because most of the time I get 128k, that is the
full bandwidth. Seems like I got nice people doing only email here ;-)

> So what happens is you call a number on the internal phone system of
> the dorm to get Internet access, right?

I don't have to call. This adapter is connected to the internal phone system
24h, no need to dial. Voice and data can go through simultaneously.
I have even set up pppd for dialin so that a friend of mine can use the
internal phoneline and get online through my unused modem without having to
subscribe to the ISP.  But don't tell them ;-)

> In that case, their access
> server is probably assigning it's IP pool out of 192.168.1.0/24,
> so some of the addresses in that range will be in use at any
> given time.

The IP addresses are static, and they were assigned when I got the contract.
But makes no difference.

> If the "ISP" is only giving you one IP address, obtained by
> dialup, then a setup like the one below should work.  Note
> that this requires two NICs in your desktop machine.

At first I was gonna implement this. But with an additional NIC I could only
connect my laptop and no additional stuff. I can connect 4 devices to the hub,
just In case a few friends would come over for a Quake party or whatever. ;-)

Anyway, I changed the IP adresses as you suggested just to see what happens:
Desktop: 192.168.1.83 (255.255.255.0)
Laptop:  192.168.1.10 (255.255.255.0)
Vmware: 192.168.1.11 (255.255.255.0)

Now the funny thing is that it does the exact same thing as before. I even
rebooted everything possible just to make sure.
vmware and laptop can ping eachother.
vmware cannot ping desktop which is its own gateway.

What's next?

B0Ti.