Re: networking trouble

B0Ti (9915104t@example.com) wrote:

> The reason I didn't do this was because I assume 192.168.1.* adresses are
> handled by the ISP,
> and there is a chance that for example 192.168.1.11 is assigned to
> somebody else, so if I set laptop or vmware to be the same IP it might
> interfere with that.

Your ISP is really assigning you that address?  Interesting, because
it's non-routable. Is this a cable modem or something
that is NATting an inside network for you, with a global IP
address on it's uplink interface?

> So would it be safe to use the 192.168.1.0 network for my own subnet also?

It should be, if your network is as described above.  If it's not
(perhaps a cable network where the NAT is all done at some
upstream router somewhere, for example) it may not be.  Tell me
more about your whole setup and I'll give a more definitive
answer on that.

Jonathan