From: Jonathan Byrne [mailto:jq@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 11:18 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: What's closing off port 25?

Josh Glover (jmglov@example.com) wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, what makes Exim better than qmail? I
> have never used Exim, but qmail is pretty damn secure.

From a technical standpoint it's probably six of one,
half dozen of the other.  Sendmail is quite secure, too.
So if Postfix.  From a security standpoint, it doesn't
really much matter whether you go with qmail, Exim,
Postfix, or Sendmail.

Exim's advantage lies in good regex-based mail
filtering on both headers and message bodies
(this is very nice!) and human-readable config files.

Postfix also has more human-friendly config files and
I suppose qmail probably does, too (haven't looked
at it).  I understand that Postfix also can read
Sendmail config files, making it particularly easy to
migrate to it from Sendmail.  Not sure about its
filtering capabilities.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae