Re: 'atd' suddenly failing to start

Dennis,

Sounds like you (or some messed up program) may have made an
improper link to atd. Or the startup script for atd is messed
up.

In case you didn't know....

Startup files are actually little shell scripts, typically
in /etc/rc.d/init.d or /etc/init.d. Symbolic links are made
to these files from the directories for each run level (e.g.
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d) which tells the system when to run
each script.

The shell scripts accept the argument "start" and "stop" (and
sometimes other stuff).

It seems that the startup script is calling atd with
the parameter "start", which it doesn't know about, so it
dies.

This may be because /etc/init.d/atd is a link to the atd binary,
or the startup script is calling atd, passing the script's
arguments to it. Or maybe the path is being set funny and the
atd script is being called instead of the atd binary.

-Jake