Re: Doh!

Jc,

vi traditionally keeps a copy of the original file, but it
is deleted when the editor is shut down properly.

I recall hearing about an "undelete" utility for ext2 file
systems. You might have a look on freshmeat.net.
I guess this would look for the disk block that was
used for the file but is now free for reuse.
Use the machine as little as possible, othewise the disk
block may be used again....

Jake