Re: Can't type fast!!

At Mon, 21 May 2001 13:35:33 -0700,
Scott Stone wrote:

> after all the reports I've heard of corruption with ReiserFS, I wouldn't
> trust it.  It seems to be exacerbated by having multiple users trying to use
> the ReiserFS filesystem at the same time.. on a home box that's pretty much
> just YOU using it, you're probably ok.

Have you heard the reports of corruption after kernel 2.4.4 was released?
After ReiserFS was included in kernel 2.4.x source tree, ReiserFS
people fixed most of the serious bugs and now ReiserFS is much more
stable, I think.

> XFS... has some promise, but SGI cannot release the full spec of XFS due to
> licensing issues with Veritas.

I think the XFS spec has been fully disclosed. SGI had designed and
implemented XFS long before Veritas joined its development.
AFAIK, Veritas only contributed for LVM(logical volume manager)
implementation for Linux.

I have used XFS (on IRIX boxes) for four years and never lost my data.

> JFS... I know very little about.  Is this in the 2.4 kernel or does it
> require a patch?

JFS requires a patch and so does XFS.
BTW, back in 1994, my home directory at the college was on
the JFS volume. It suddenly corrupted and we had never recovered
the data from the volume. Since then, I don't like JFS.

Takeshi