Re: firewalling behind NAT?

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:13:55AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:
>
> >What happens if the cracker compromises the router?   Mmm-hmm,
> >Houston, we have a problem :-)
>
> True. I also have a firewall between me and my router. I use gol/e-access.
> Which brings me to my question:
>
> Does the router-type modem provided by have telnet access? It's my belief
> that it doesn't. If a router doesn't have telnet access, doesn't that make
> it that much more difficult to hack into?
>
> My paranoia level is average, and I figure if you can't even telnet to my
> router you'll have have a tough time hacking into my LAN. But that's just me

Jean,

I have the eaccess router. The setup manual tells you to filter ports 20,21
and 80 externally. You can verify what is open from the outside with the
following web page which will scan you if you give it permission.

http://www.sdesign.com/securitytest/

You should also change the default password which the manual doesn't
mention :( At least not that I could read in my poor Japanese.

If the only way through is to hack the router, then I can live with
that for the moment, since it's just my home machine. I'll get the
firewall up when I have more time.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com