From: Jonathan Q [mailto:jq@example.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 2:54 AM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: Can't type fast!!

Liton (leyton@example.com) wrote:

> Could you please tell me how to have proper entry in
> /etc/fstab?

This is the line for my cdrom drive from my /etc/fstab:

/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom    iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

This is on a Red Hat 7.1 system.  If you're not running Red Hat
or another system that uses kudzu, you'll want to remove the
"kudzu" parameter.   Even on RH, this isn't really necessary.

The other parameters there are:

noauto - don't mount when mount -a is issued (at boot, for example)

owner - Red Hat makes the console user the owner of the cdrom
        drive, and this owner is the one who can mount/unmount
        the cdrom drive.  If you're using a system that doesn't
        do this, take this out.  You might want to change it to
        user.

ro - read-only

0 0  - do not include this file system in dumps, and do not
       fsck it.  This is standard for cdrom drives.

For more info on this stuff, read the mount and fstab man
pages.

To get this into your fstab, su to root and edit /etc/fstab
with the text editor of your choice.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae