Re: c compiler for Windows?

Jc,

--- Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:

> >There is a compiler project based on gcc called mingwin which
> >builds executables which link against Microsoft's C runtime
> >DLL's (msvcrt), which should be available on any recent
> >target machine. I think that this code is now merged into
> >the gcc that comes with the cygwin project, though it may not
> >be the latest. So you may just need to play with the
> >compiler settings.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? I do have a mingwm.dll under the Cygwin
> installation but I don't know how to get gcc to link it into my exe.

I haven't tried it myself, but....
I think you just use the flags "-mno-cygwin" and maybe
"-lmsvcrt" when compiling.

Have a look at
http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt
for inspiration.

> >Another option might be to use Borland's C compiler, which is
> >free (as in beer).
>
> Did you mean a C compiler, or the C++ 5.5 compiler?

Yup, that's the one. If your C code won't compile with a C++
compiler, you have other problems :-)

> I found the C++ 5.5 compiler for download but the site is closed for
> the weekend (beer tap has been truned off I guess :)
>
> >You might run into problems with socket stuff, though, in any
> >case. Windows sockets are slightly different from traditional
> >Berkley sockets. You may be able to find a cross platform
> >sockets library that abstracts out the differences. These
> >libraries are typically targeted at Microsoft's compiler, though.
>
> That's *exactly* what I owuld like :) I like my BSD sockets and don't
> even want to start figuring out how windows goes about it . . .

You might try SDL_net: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/
SDL is a set of cross-platform game libraries that seems to be
prety popular for open-source games. SDL_net is one component.
I am not sure how far along it is.

Another is SFL, used for the Xitami cross-platform web server
http://www.imatix.com/html/sfl/index.htm
This library has lots of nifty functions in it.

Or just look around on freshmeat.net. There are a number of
cross-platform libraries there.

> >I have used the ACE C++ framework
> >(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) for this, but it's
> >probably overkill for your needs.
>
> Had a quick look. Definitely overkill, plus it seems to be C++ libs
> and not C.

Yes.

> Thanks for the help!
>
> Jc