Re: Samba on 7.1 not working :(

Are we talking a home network here? I'm a bit confused as to why anyone would
want to disable encrypted passwords. Its much easier, and more secure(albeit
only slightly) to enable encrypted passwords, and just maintain the smbpasswd
file.  I don't see as it is much less work to patch your boxen to send plain
text passwords over the wire, but maybe that is just me. In the case where you
have a domain controller it is even easier to passoff the password requests
to the PDC, and boom it is both automatic, and more secure.  I stay as far
away from windows as I can these days, but the samba registry hacks need to go
off to a corner, and die.....

//Matt

ps. you also shouldn't use any M$ operating system that uses LANMAN hashes
for authentication(Win95) in a production environment.