Getting out of Office on campus [was: source of virus]

    Yong-Ming> No way to get out of Office on campus you know...

"Just Say No."  Works fine for me.  strings nantoka.doc > nantoka.txt
is more than sufficient for admin BS, I refuse to proofread .docs for
English, and tell my students that they can submit text/plain,
application/*tex, or application/pdf.

If you must run Windows, XEmacs works fine (and probably GNU Emacs/NT,
but I have no first-hand experience with that).  With Cygwin you can
have all the usual GNU tools and a bash shell, maybe even vi.  (They
don't work reliably on Win-ME-harder, but then nothing, including
"Shutdown", works reliably on WinME.)

Sure, it's work at first.  But after a while people learn that you're
a refusenik, and they start automatically sending stuff in portable
formats.  And even senior faculty get tired of hearing "oh, I'm sorry,
putting that into Word means I won't be able to do it until Tuesday;
will PDF do?"