Re: Linux with Windows2000

Liton,

Hi, does this happen to be a Vaio 505? I had a Z505GTK or something like
that (P3-650, crappy battery life) - I don't have the machine anymore, so I
can't help you out with a working reference.
The Sony CDROM to a 505 is connected via the PCMCIA port, but the card was
attached to the drive cable (odd, but at least you can't loose it). I
remember I only had to use those parameters "ide2=0x180,0x386" to get the
drive to operate for the installation. Afterwards, Linux picked up the
PCMCIA card (I can't remember if KUDZU had anything to do with it or not),
and I was able to mount a CDROM with no problems.

A good reference site I used to setup the machine was:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/sony.html. If you have a Japanese model, you
have to search for something that matches your hardware spec.

I'm not sure if Seawolf (RH7.1) is any better at the install for the 505,
but I remember having many painful sessions with X and the NeoMagic video (I
hear they now use ATI video on the 505 which is gobs better). Sony
computers, while they look cool are made with lots of proprietary Sony parts
(the jog dial, memory stick, to name the weird ones) - so it takes time to
get support under Linux.

Hope this helps

Bryan