Boot Sector

I'm still having problems extracting the boot sector from my linux
partition.  I'm running RedHat 7.0 on a secondary harddisk.  My primary is
physically connected as master, while my secondary is physically connected
as a slave of this master HDD.  I don't think this should be much of a
problem, though.  I've installed LILO on the first sector of my secondary
HDD, tried to extract the boot sector with:

dd if=/dev/hdb2 bs=512 count=1 of=./bootsect.lin

hdb1 is where my 300mb swap partition is located, and hdb2 is my 9.7gb ext2
partition.  One problem I've had is booting the partition, as well.  To boot
up my linux partition, I'm using a bootdisk (floppy).  Since my linux
resides on a secondary partition, I'm unable to set it "active."  I,
therefore, tried to alter my BIOS settings to boot from my secondary
harddisk.  It shows the letter "LI" and stops.  I've given up booting from
my harddisk, naturally, and resorted to using a bootdisk instead.  Although
booting from floppy works perfectly, trying to extract the bootsector always
ends up in a blank file (512 bytes long).  Any suggestions/tips is
appreciated!  Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has any clue as to how I could use the serial connection of
my Yamaha RTA 50i router to connect to the Net on linux, please send me
infos as well.  Thanks again in advance!