Re: XIM, kinput2 & Tk

    B0Ti> Jim Breen wrote:

    >> And to follow up my previous partially rhetorical question, if
    >> a Swede wants to run a kterm, while still getting messages
    >> etc. in Swedish,

    >> (a) what does he/she set variables to?
    >> (b) how should kterm respond to which which variables?

    B0Ti> Poor Swede won't see the Swedish messages properly under
    B0Ti> kterm since the Swedish language contains accented
    B0Ti> characters.  He has to read them in English, like I do.

In kterm, as currently butchered, possibly true.  (Ignoring the fact
that the Swedish-language message catalog surely doesn't exist.)  BTW,
Jim, it is true that kterm was originally created before the POSIX
locale system.  However, kterm has had plenty of time to catch up,
X11R5 standardized use of the POSIX locale system.  X11R5 was released
in 1991 or before, and much of the machinery dates back to X11R4,
although explicitly locale-dependent functionality like XIM and
XFontSets were not yet standardized.

However, in theory, you simply set LANG=se_SE.ctext.  Then what
happens is that the application spits out Japanese output in
ISO-2022-JP, while kterm's messages are in ISO-8859-1.  This only
works because of the definition of the X Compound Text encoding and
the assumption that the app is capable of producing ISO-2022-JP.

In general, if you set the encoding of the locale to a 7-bit ISO 2022
variant, then you should be able to set the language of the locale any
way you like to get messages, and still see multilingual text in the
kterm.

A more general solution is to set LANG=ja_JP.SJIS (or any Japanese)
and LC_MESSAGES=se_SE.iso8859-1.  The only way that should fail is if
there is no message catalog in Swedish.