AMD 1 gig + and Linux

Guys-

I went to Akihabara today planning on upgrading this box to a 1 gig or so
processor.  On getting down there I seemed to remember that there were
issues with running Linux on AMD Athlon processors with certain
motherboards.  So I chickened out and came home and checked Red Hat and
Mandrake's compatibility lists.

They don't offer much information on Socket A motherboards, I'm afraid.

Is there anyone who could take a minute to say "Hey, no sweat.  I run Red
Hat on a 1 gig Athlon with Asus XXX board" or "Stay away from the XX board"
or whatever?  I want to upgrade this machine but it's got to be Linux
compatible.

I'm not an IT pro so no one else to ask...

TIA,

Glenn Evanish