Sending Japanese mail in VM

I'd like to send some mail in Japanese to my favourite penpal, Mayumi
Sasaki, but VM is stopping me. I assumed that I could merely compose a
message in VM with canna turned on and it would do the rest. Now when
I try to send the message, it says:

    You're trying to send a message that contains characters in the
    following character set:

        japanese-jisx0208

    This characters cannot be sent without proper encoding. Please
    consider using a MIME enabled mail composer (such as `message').
    Continuing is likely to cause mail corruption.

And I notice my message has been replaced by a bunch of MIME-escaped
=XXs. What do I do?

--
You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all different.