RE: Java in ja_JP environment

i hope i'm not sending this mail twice.

From: "legend" <fukudam@example.com>
Subject: RE: Java in ja_JP environment
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:13:38 -0400

; > If all you did to bash was to change the LANG, then try changing
; > it back to whatever it was before launching java to see if it works.
; > perhaps try...
; >
; > $ LANG=en_US /usr/java/j2sdk1.3.0/bin/java -version
; Yep. I know for sure it's because of the LANG setting.
; Java works fine when I set LANG back to en_US.

a naive question: is JVM expected to set its default locale by setting
the environment varialbe LANG?

following is a code and results on my environment with
SUN JDK1.3/Slackware7.1
------
import java.util.Locale;
public class Available2 {
    static public void main(String[] args) {
	Locale loc = Locale.getDefault();
	System.out.println(loc.toString());
    }
}
------
bash-2.04$ echo $LANG

bash-2.04$ java Available2
en_US
bash-2.04$ LANG=ja java Available2
en_US
bash-2.04$ LANG=ja_JP java Available2
en_US
bash-2.04$ LNAG=ja_JP.eucJP java Available2
en_US
bash-2.04$
------

things i can think of to try out further are,
a) setting the locale explicitly inside the java code and see what
happens.
b) revise the font.properties file that comes with your JDK.
c) try out with your code with JDK on (japanese) Windows.