Re: How much space needed for a web server install?

    >> the Turbolinux base install down to 85 megs ... FreeBSD's base
    >> install is under 100 megs or so, IIRC.

    Darren> Debian's was around 30Mb I think; it was very bare, but I
    Darren> didn't need to install much more to get a web server
    Darren> running.

You might not do so well with Debian unstable.  The proliferation of
packages (good) has resulted in a lack of attention to dependencies
(bad), so it can be very hard to get dselect to deliver exactly the
packages you want.

    Darren> Like you I still can't get comfortable with dselect.

See above.  "DQ" (how apropos!) in the conflict resolution window is
your friend.

For some reason dselect gets slower and slower, but the functionality
never improves.

    >> I just installed RH 7.1 on an old PC to use as an intranet web
    >> server.  However it seemed that a basic install (minus a few
    >> packages like emacs) still takes about 600 Mbytes. I would have
    >> taken more packages out but I'm not sure what they all are or
    >> which I will need.

Just attempt to delete anything you don't know you need.  If it is a
dependency, RPM will refuse to delete it and tell you why.  Try
deleting the dependent packages in the same way.

It will take a while but eventually you'll get down to a sane
configuration.

    Darren> Did you install X windows? You need the X libraries for
    Darren> some things, but that is all.

If it's a server, ditch X entirely.  X is for the "Diner's Club" set.
The PC you describe couldn't get a $500 limit from MasterCard.  And
under Linux (or *BSD) it will do a great job as an intranet server
anyway.

You won't miss X; use a web-based config/admin tool from a browser
hosted on another workstation.

Yay, open source!